Bean Validation should be enabled

Hi all,

I would like to propose the following new rule.

Rule description & motivation
Bean Validation can be triggered programmatically on an object, but it will also run automatically for fields of objects being validated and for any method parameters. However, in both cases, the corresponding variable must be annotated with javax.validation.Valid. This can easily be forgotten.

This rule should create an issue for each

• parameter of a public method (excluding constructors)
  • field with bean validation constraints
  • field in a class where other fields have bean validation constraints

that is not annotated javax.validation.Valid and where the type refers to a class with bean validation constraints.

This rule should support standard constraint annotations (such as @NotNull) as well as custom ones (annotations which have the javax.validation.Constraint annotation).

Impact to keep this code as it is
Not annotating the element with @Valid means bean validation will not be triggered, but readers may overlook this omission and assume the object will be validated.

Example Code

import javax.validation.Valid;
import javax.validation.constraints.NotNull;

public class User {
  @NotNull
  private String name;
}

public class Group {
  @NotNull
  private List<User> users; // noncompliant, User instances are not validated
}

public class Email {
  @Valid
  @NotNull
  private List<User> recipients; // compliant
}

public class MyService {
  public void login(User user) { // noncompliant, parameter is not validated
  }

public void logout(@Valid User user) { // compliant
  }

protected void logAction(User user) { // compliant
  }
}

References

Type
Code Smell

Tags
suspicious

Best regards

Hi all!

I’m interested in implementing this rule inside SonarJava. Before I work on it and open a pull request, please state whether the rule as described above seems acceptable.

Best regards,
Jens

Hello Jens,

As it is, I think the scope of the rule is too wide as it will apply to all public class and I believe there are lot of situations where you just need a bean and you don’t want all this validation layer.

What about limiting the rule to Spring @Controller , @Service , and @Repository classes?

Thanks

Hi Alexandre!

In our projects, we could indeed enable that rule for the entire project as we only annotate our “data transfer object” classes which are not used in the lower layers. However, I agree that for other teams it may not be that simple.

On the other hand, your suggestion will only work for teams who use Spring. For us, the the rule would instead have to look for JAX-RS @Path annotations.

However, I strongly advise against doing that as Bean Validation is not at all specific to HTTP! My suggestion is to leave this to the users: add a note to the rule description saying something like “note that this rule will check all classes. if it should only look at certain parts/layers, use SonarQube’s ‘Restrict Scope of Coding Rules’ functionality.” When a team decides to activate this rule, they can make an informed decision that suits their code base.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Jens

Hello Jens,

Let’s try with your suggestion to use “Restrict Scope of Coding Rules” and see even if I believe it’s kind of advance feature that not a lot of SQ users are aware of.

I created the rule specification (https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/RSPEC-5128) and its linked implementation ticket (https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARJAVA-3007) so you can push your PR.

Regards

1 Like

Hi all,

I created pull request #2446 for this.

Best regards,
Jens

3 posts were split to a new topic: False Positive on S2583 when a @NotNull field is allowed to be null

Hi all,

rule S5128 was merged today and will be included in SonarJava 5.12.

Thank you, @Alexandre_Gigleux and @Michael for the spec work and the review! It’s been a pleasure :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing the rule in SonarCloud.

Best regards,
Jens

2 Likes

Hello @bannmann,

SonarJava 5.12 is available for download: https://docs.sonarqube.org/display/PLUG/SonarJava and contains your contribution.

Regards

1 Like