I got your logs. Next time I believe that you can send them through the forum:
- It will be much easier for me to reconcile a community thread and logs received through another channel
- There not much confidential in these logs, and you can redact the few things you want to hide
- We may not allow to send data by any other channel. With your developer edition, the support is through the community. Your Account Mgr made you a favor to allow that as a one time exception.
So I looked in the logs and here’s what I can say:
- So I confirm that your SonarQube is started with overall memory allocation of 1.5 GB, the standard for Developer Edition, and the standard since a long time
- On top of the 1.5 GB for SonarQube you probably need a bit of memory for the OS to run… 512 MB or 1 GB I’d say. So technically there is no reason for SonarQube to not run with only 2-3 GB of RAM for your docker image… even if that is very little for a production system.
- I believe that we changed nothing between 8.2 and 8.4.2 in terms of memory requirements so I doubt that this is the root cause
- I noticed from the logs that you have 3rd party plugins installed on your platform. Even though they are quite mainstream, I would really recommend to remove them to see how things are doing without them. Plugins are Checkstyle, Code Smells, Findbugs and PMD.
- I also noticed some ElasticSearch “debug level” errors related to K8S. We did not change anything since 8.2 so I would assume these are “normal errors”, but anyhow K8S is not formally supported as you wrote, so we cannot help much if that would be a possible explanation.
2020.09.14 17:25:03 DEBUG es[o.e.m.o.OsProbe] error reading control group stats
I really don’t see much that would explain a change of behaviour between 8.2 and 8.4.2 :-(.
I re-read the thread and there’s something I would like to clarify: What exactly happens when SonarQube “restarts” ? There’s absolutely no particular error in the logs before each time of restart, I highly suspect a high K8S monitoring to trigger that …
eg for your restart at 12:56 on 2020-09-14:
2020.09.14 08:12:54 INFO app[o.s.a.SchedulerImpl] SonarQube is up
2020.09.14 12:56:09 INFO app[o.s.a.AppFileSystem] Cleaning or creating temp directory /opt/sonarqube/temp
2020.09.14 12:56:09 INFO app[o.s.a.es.EsSettings] Elasticsearch listening on /127.0.0.1:9001
2020.09.14 12:56:09 INFO app[o.s.a.ProcessLauncherImpl] Launch process[[key='es', ipcIndex=1, logFilenamePrefix=es]] from [/opt/sonarqube/elasticsearch]: /opt/sonarqube/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch
2020.09.14 08:12:48 INFO web[o.s.s.p.Platform] WebServer is operational
2020.09.14 12:56:20 INFO web[o.s.p.ProcessEntryPoint] Starting web
2020.09.14 08:12:32 INFO es[o.e.c.r.a.AllocationService] Cluster health status changed from [RED] to [GREEN] (reason: [shards started [[metadatas]] ...]).
2020.09.14 12:56:11 INFO es[o.e.e.NodeEnvironment] using  data paths, mounts [[/opt/sonarqube/data (/dev/nvme1n1)]], net usable_space [48.5gb], net total_space [48.9gb], types [ext4]
2020.09.14 11:49:13 INFO ce[AXSMcogsFz89Ji2G6r7U][o.s.c.t.CeWorkerImpl] Executed task | project=com.volvocars.ccdp:om-monitoring | type=REPORT | pullRequest=4 | id=AXSMcogsFz89Ji2G6r7U | submitter=gitlab_ci | status=SUCCESS | time=1360ms
2020.09.14 12:56:35 INFO ce[o.s.p.ProcessEntryPoint] Starting ce
The only thing that is suspect is the constant calls to SonarQube
sessions/new URL, call made by kube-probe user. (See access.log file).
- What is this for ?
- Is this normal that this is performed so often (from several times per second, to once every 3 seconds) ?