Upgrade to SQ 7.4 failed at DB upgrade phase

(Alpay Kaptaş) #1

My upgrade from SQ 7.3 to 7.4 failed at database upgrade phase(triggered by hitting \setup url) SonarQube log produced the following.

To resolve this, I droppped organization_key from sonar DB(which is in SQL Server), completed the upgrade and recreated this index. But sonar application is now logging HTTP 500 errors to browser console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()
The request that causes this log is like:
/api/ce/component?componentKey=<my_project_key>

2018.11.06 10:05:17 INFO  web[][o.s.s.p.w.MasterServletFilter] Initializing servlet filter org.sonar.server.ws.WebServiceFilter@662f7274 [pattern=UrlPattern{inclusions=[/api/system/migrate_db.*, ...], exclusions=[/api/properties*, ...]}]
2018.11.06 10:05:17 INFO  web[][o.s.s.a.EmbeddedTomcat] HTTP connector enabled on port 9000
2018.11.06 10:05:19 INFO  web[][o.s.s.p.d.m.DatabaseMigrationImpl] Starting DB Migration and container restart
2018.11.06 10:05:19 INFO  web[][DbMigrations] Executing DB migrations...
2018.11.06 10:05:19 INFO  web[][DbMigrations] #2321 'Increase organization key and name length'...
2018.11.06 10:05:19 ERROR web[][DbMigrations] #2321 'Increase organization key and name length': failure | time=0ms
2018.11.06 10:05:19 ERROR web[][DbMigrations] Executed DB migrations: failure | time=0ms
2018.11.06 10:05:19 ERROR web[][o.s.s.p.d.m.DatabaseMigrationImpl] DB migration failed | time=93ms
2018.11.06 10:05:19 ERROR web[][o.s.s.p.d.m.DatabaseMigrationImpl] DB migration ended with an exception
org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.MigrationStepExecutionException: Execution of migration step #2321 'Increase organization key and name length' failed
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.execute(MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.java:79)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.execute(MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.java:67)
	at java.lang.Iterable.forEach(Unknown Source)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.execute(MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.java:52)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.engine.MigrationEngineImpl.execute(MigrationEngineImpl.java:68)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.DatabaseMigrationImpl.doUpgradeDb(DatabaseMigrationImpl.java:105)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.DatabaseMigrationImpl.doDatabaseMigration(DatabaseMigrationImpl.java:80)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Fail to execute ALTER TABLE organizations ALTER COLUMN kee NVARCHAR (255) NOT NULL
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.DdlChange$Context.execute(DdlChange.java:97)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.DdlChange$Context.execute(DdlChange.java:77)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.DdlChange$Context.execute(DdlChange.java:117)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.version.v74.IncreaseOrganizationsKeeAndNameLength.execute(IncreaseOrganizationsKeeAndNameLength.java:41)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.DdlChange.execute(DdlChange.java:45)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.execute(MigrationStepsExecutorImpl.java:75)
	... 9 common frames omitted
Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The index 'organization_key' is dependent on column 'kee'.
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:258)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(SQLServerStatement.java:1535)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:845)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement$StmtExecCmd.doExecute(SQLServerStatement.java:752)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:7151)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:2478)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeCommand(SQLServerStatement.java:219)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:199)
	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.execute(SQLServerStatement.java:729)
	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:175)
	at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:175)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.db.migration.step.DdlChange$Context.execute(DdlChange.java:82)
	... 14 common frames omitted
2018.11.06 10:06:10 INFO  web[][o.s.p.StopWatcher] Stopping process

(Julien Lancelot) #2

Hi,

I’m not able to reproduce this issue, could you please provided the version of your SQL server ?
Could you also provide the server’s log when executing web service /api/ce/component ?

Thanks.

(Alpay Kaptaş) #3

We are using SQL Server 2017 and SQL complains about the collation. SQ log shows that it tries to run the following query and gets the collation mismatch between ctm.task_uuid and ca.uuid because one of them is collated Turkish_100_CS_AS and the other is Turkish_CS_AS.

In the end, I dropped the DB and created a fresh DB to resolve the error. Because I don’ t need historic data about the analyses, it wasn’ t a problem.

Thank you

select ca.id, ca.uuid, ca.task_type as taskType, ca.component_uuid as componentUuid, ca.main_component_uuid as mainComponentUuid, ca.analysis_uuid as analysisUuid, ca.status as status, ca.submitter_uuid as submitterUuid, ca.submitted_at as submittedAt, ca.worker_uuid as workerUuid, ca.started_at as startedAt, ca.executed_at as executedAt, ca.created_at as createdAt, ca.updated_at as updatedAt, ca.is_last as isLast, ca.is_last_key as isLastKey, ca.main_is_last as mainIsLast, ca.main_is_last_key as mainIsLastKey, ca.execution_time_ms as executionTimeMs, ca.error_message as errorMessage, ca.error_type as errorType, cast(case when csc.task_uuid is null then 0 else 1 end as bit) as hasScannerContext , ca.error_stacktrace as errorStacktrace, (select count(1) from ce_task_message ctm where ctm.task_uuid = ca.uuid) as warningCount from ce_activity ca left outer join ce_scanner_context csc on ca.uuid = csc.task_uuid where ca.uuid=?

(Colin Mueller) #4

Alpay,

Please note from our Requirements documentation that SQL Server 2017 is not a supported/tested database version. https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/requirements/requirements/

Colin

(Julien Lancelot) #5

By doing it, did you need to drop the index in organizations table ?

(Alpay Kaptaş) #6

Actually, that index prevented me to upgrade SQ to the new version, that’ s why I had to drop and recreate the index. However, after the completion of upgrade, SQ wasn’ t functioning as it should, so I had to drop the whole DB and create it from the scratch.

I didn’ t drop the index from organizations table after this operation. SQ seems to work correctly now.

(Julien Lancelot) #7

Ok, thanks for this confirmation.