Upgrade to 9.1 fails: Background initialization failed. Stopping SonarQube

Hello after upgrading to 9.1 from 8.9LTS the web interface fails to initialise. The error in the log is:

2021.08.30 17:04:03 ERROR web[][o.s.s.p.Platform] Background initialization failed. Stopping SonarQube
org.sonar.server.exceptions.BadRequestException: Rule was removed: f77-rules:F77.DATA.Array
	at org.sonar.server.exceptions.BadRequestException.create(BadRequestException.java:57)
	at org.sonar.server.exceptions.BadRequestException.create(BadRequestException.java:61)
	at org.sonar.server.exceptions.BadRequestException.checkRequest(BadRequestException.java:44)
	at org.sonar.server.qualityprofile.RuleActivator.doActivate(RuleActivator.java:82)
	at org.sonar.server.qualityprofile.RuleActivator.activate(RuleActivator.java:77)
	at org.sonar.server.qualityprofile.BuiltInQProfileUpdateImpl.update(BuiltInQProfileUpdateImpl.java:73)
	at org.sonar.server.qualityprofile.RegisterQualityProfiles.update(RegisterQualityProfiles.java:132)
	at org.sonar.server.qualityprofile.RegisterQualityProfiles.lambda$start$1(RegisterQualityProfiles.java:93)
	at com.google.common.collect.ImmutableList.forEach(ImmutableList.java:405)
	at org.sonar.server.qualityprofile.RegisterQualityProfiles.start(RegisterQualityProfiles.java:88)
	at org.sonar.core.platform.StartableCloseableSafeLifecyleStrategy.start(StartableCloseableSafeLifecyleStrategy.java:40)
	at org.picocontainer.injectors.AbstractInjectionFactory$LifecycleAdapter.start(AbstractInjectionFactory.java:84)
	at org.picocontainer.behaviors.AbstractBehavior.start(AbstractBehavior.java:169)
	at org.picocontainer.behaviors.Stored$RealComponentLifecycle.start(Stored.java:132)
	at org.picocontainer.behaviors.Stored.start(Stored.java:110)
	at org.picocontainer.DefaultPicoContainer.potentiallyStartAdapter(DefaultPicoContainer.java:1016)
	at org.picocontainer.DefaultPicoContainer.startAdapters(DefaultPicoContainer.java:1009)
	at org.picocontainer.DefaultPicoContainer.start(DefaultPicoContainer.java:767)
	at org.sonar.core.platform.ComponentContainer.startComponents(ComponentContainer.java:136)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.platformlevel.PlatformLevel.start(PlatformLevel.java:90)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.platformlevel.PlatformLevelStartup.access$001(PlatformLevelStartup.java:49)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.platformlevel.PlatformLevelStartup$1.doPrivileged(PlatformLevelStartup.java:87)
	at org.sonar.server.user.DoPrivileged.execute(DoPrivileged.java:45)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.platformlevel.PlatformLevelStartup.start(PlatformLevelStartup.java:84)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl.executeStartupTasks(PlatformImpl.java:198)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$1.lambda$doRun$1(PlatformImpl.java:122)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$AutoStarterRunnable.runIfNotAborted(PlatformImpl.java:370)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$1.doRun(PlatformImpl.java:122)
	at org.sonar.server.platform.PlatformImpl$AutoStarterRunnable.run(PlatformImpl.java:354)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)
2021.08.30 17:04:03 INFO  web[][o.s.p.ProcessEntryPoint] Hard stopping process

Ok, so it seems to be cause by a plugin I am using (Sonar i-Code CNES plugin) which according to the Plugin Version Matrix should work, but obviously does not.

I would suggest reaching out to the maintainers at cnescatlab/sonar-icode-cnes-plugin

For what it’s worth, plugin maintainers are responsible for reporting compatibility updates to us… and at the same time we also tend to assume that no news is good news. I’ve raised a pull request on our Marketplace metadata to see if we can go off what the maintainer is reporting in their repo (maximum compatibility: 8.2)

Yes, I’ve filed an issue in the github repo. The “current” version is quite long in the tooth, so I am not surprised something finally broke. Thanx :slight_smile:

1 Like