Unable to change project display name + No spaces allowed (SonarQube Server GUI)

Versions used (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension):

• Developer Edition 7.7.0.23042

Error observed (wrap logs/code around triple quote ``` for proper formatting):

• Cannot alter project name after project creation through Web GUI.
  • Cannot add spaces to project name during creation.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a project.
  • Try to add spaces to the display name.
  • Save the project with a display name without spaces.
  • Try to alter the display name through the web GUI (there is no way to do this).

Potential workaround:

• API call?

Hi,

right now there is no Web api call for renaming projects, only for project key api/projects/update_key .
Did a rename in Sonarqube DB - normally you should treat the DB as black box - when i needed to rename a bunch of project names.
When creating a project, the name takes blanks, but not the key. You’ll get the error message:
Malformed key for Project: com.foo.bar : Foo Bar. Allowed characters are alphanumeric, '-', '_', '.' and ':', with at least one non-digit.
com.foo.bar:FooBar is a valid project key.

Regards,
Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,

The problem is that the display name doesn’t take blanks (spaces). I can press the space-bar as much as I want but they don’t appear in the field. The project key is fine as it also provides feedback on which characters are allowed.
Furthermore, the display name cannot be altered in the Web GUI after creating the project. So, I filed this as a bug.

• Robert.

Hi Robert,

you’re right, it’s not possible to edit the project name via Web UI or web api after creation.
But the create project form definitely takes blanks for the project name, see

Maybe a browser problem on your side !?

Gilbert

Hi guys,

I just want to point out that there’s no UI functionality to rename the project because it’s expected that the project name will be passed at each analysis (that’s optional by now, but that’s the history) and anything you set in the UI would just get overwritten. So your best bet here is to set sonar.projectName during analysis. (The docs.)

Ann

1 Like

Hi Gilbert,

Correct. It takes spaces through the API or rather like G Ann suggests. However, if I try to add blanks in either Firefox or Chrome when creating the project through the web GUI I cannot provide a display name with spaces in it.
For now I’ve opted to add the sonar.projectName option to the scanner. I still feel that the web GUI should have the same capabilities.

Hi @RobertDiebels,

Indeed, I can reproduce the error: you cannot add a space while typing (at the end of the name). It gets stripped out. This is indeed a bug, thanks for reporting it.

For now, here’s a workaround: type out your full project name, no spaces, and move the caret back. You can add spaces between letters without problems.

Ticket is here: https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONAR-12025

Hi @Wouter_Admiraal,

Administration / create project and using ‘My project’ as project name works without any problems in IE11 !?

Regards,
Gilbert

It shouldn’t. What version are you using? This bug was introduced pretty recently (probably 7.7).

We’re using Enterprise Edition -Version 7.7 (build 23042) running on Windows Server 2012.
The IE version is 11.0.9600.19326, Updateversion 11.0.120

Weird, I’ll double check. But I can confirm the bug is at least in Chrome and Firefox.