SonarScanner seems to ignore sonar.showProfiling option

Which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension)?

SonarQube 8.1, SonarQube Scanner 4.2.0.1873, Java 11.0.3 AdoptOpenJDK (64-bit), Mac OS X 10.15.2 x86_64

What are you trying to achieve?

I’ve been investigating why scanning of one of our projects with ~3000 TypeScript files takes around 20 mins. I have hoped that enabling sonar.showProfiling option gives me some insights into where the scanner spends time. The documentation states the following about the option:

This parameter generates a file containing these timing infos in <workingDir>/profiling/<moduleKey>-profiler.xml where <workingDir> is: .sonar/profiling/ when analysis is run with SonarScanner.

Unfortunately I can’t find any profiling reports the scanner is supposed to create. There is .sonar folder in my home folder which has cache & temp files/folders but no profiling. Working folder .scannerwork doesn’t have it either. I’ve looked through a log the scanner produces with sonar.verbose=true and haven’t found any traces the scanner’s tried to generate a profiling file or failed to do so.

What have you tried so far to achieve this?

I’ve tried to set sonar.showProfiling=true in sonar-project.properties file as well as via command line argument with the same negative result.

What do I do wrong?