Sonar Upgrade 6.7.4->7.9

Hi,

I performed an upgrade from 6.7.4 to 7.9.

In the previous version, within a project code, I was able to expand that code to the overview, filtering only by the issues identified to that code.

In the 6.7.4 version, there was an icon that allowed to perform that action and now it does not seems to be visible.

Was this deprecated?

Hi,

It’s not super clear to me what you mean by “expand that code to the overview”. I guess you mean the ability to get a dashboard at any random module / directory level in the code?

If my guess is right, then you’ll be sad to hear that that was indeed removed. However, you should still be able to get directory-level aggregate measure values through the Measures page.

HTH,
Ann

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed you’re correct. That was the feature that I was referring to.
In my opinion it was a useful feature.

Hi,

I understand your disappointment. This was a side effect of cleaning out some cruft, and TBH we didn’t think many people would notice or care (so far you’ve been the only exception, IIRC). If you don’t mind sharing, what were the primary benefits you got from this sub-level homepage feature?

Thx,
Ann

Hi Ann,

Sorry for the late reply.
We have a huge backlog of issues. In this backlog we neeed to define a strategy to solve and also create a ticket in Redmine for a group o corrections.
Our initial filter was Rule | Project | Module. Now since we lost this we don’t have the module, just the directory.
In Redmine we place a link for the issues for resolution. Some of them were event for outsourcing

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

I understand the desire to set up a remediation plan to get everything cleaned up. However, what we’ve found works best in practice is focusing on the new code.

The idea here is that enough of any given code base is touched on a regular basis that if you make sure that the code you touch in the regular course of maintenance and new features meets the standard, eventually you’ll have cleaned up the majority of your code base just in the normal course of doing business. I think at one point Google was saying that 50% of their code base changed every year. If you assume that 30% of that is the same code churning over and over and the other 20% is different each year, a New Code focus and a ‘Clean as You Code’ policy gives you a sparkling code base in just a few years.

Obviously few other projects have the same level of code churn as Google, but the principle remains the same, it just takes a little longer.

At the same time, if you’ve got blocker-level bugs and vulnerabilities out there, you clearly want to clean them up. But if I were you, I’d let the non-urgent old issues lie until I came back across them in the normal course of maintenance if I were you.

HTH,
Ann

Hi Ann,

Thank you for your reply. In the directory search, is it possible to add wildcards in order to limit to a specific component directory, the result list?

Hi,

In fact, I was originally going to have two points in my response, one of which was going to be that you could use the Directory facet to get the issues in a module. Fortunately I ran a little experiment first, so I didn’t embarrass myself. In fact, Directory issue search is neither recursive nor responsive to wildcards, which frankly I was surprised by. On the other hand, this is (so far, at least) a corner case. Nonetheless, I’ve given feedback internally & am waiting to see where that goes.

Ann

Thanks for you support.

Just another question…
I have the following directory. If I write this in search I get no results. Do I need to escape characters?
The directory is:
xxxxx/src/main/java/pt/xxxx/se/aut/components/xxx/ui

Hi,

A quick test tells me that the search inputs look for names (file name, project name, …) not paths.

Ann