I installed SonarQube for the first time. After the installation (version 184.108.40.206466) I found out, that some translation are missing (instead of the word there are translation keys displayed).
Some places where translations are missing:
The wizard that creates a new project (from Azure)
On the SAML config section the save button has the value: settings.authentication.saml.form.save -[site-root]/admin/settings?category=authentication
The whole page where the tokens are handled -[site-root/account/security]
It is indeed a plugin. I will contact them.
Thank you for your answer.
PS: I know this issue it is just an annoyance, but it would be nice for the system to be more isolated from the faulty plugins (just a thaught for when you developers will have some spare time ) Otherwise, I have to say that I like SonarQube very much.
if we closed all the doors, plugins wouldn’t be able to accomplish much, so they still have access to a powerful API. And we don’t have plans to change that. We don’t want to interfere with plugins’ ability to deliver value or your ability to use them.
But we do think you should be clear-eyed about using plugins.