Rule update date possible to find out in Rules

Hi,

• SonarQube 9.9.2.77730
  • SonarQube deployed: zip
  • We use custom rules and we update them and would like to see when the rule was updated.
    Is it possible to find updated date for the rule?

br,

//mike

Hi mike,

Ehm… Not exactly. There’s an ‘Available since’ filter on the rules page, and the Quality Profile changelog will show when a rules was added to the profile. But we don’t display a date on the rule.

HTH,
Ann

@ganncamp this is very relevant when developing your own plugins. Version is one thing but date is more useful. Maybe a feature for future :slight_smile:

br,

//mike

1 Like

Hello Mikael,

Thank you for the feedback.

May I ask why you need to know when the rules were updated?

@Ilham so when we deploy our custom rule we can see the date it was updated. Version does not really tell when we updated it. It is very useful.

1 Like

Hello Mikael,

Thank you for your return.

Could you please explain why it will be very useful?

Is it to track the usage of the recently updated rules? Is it for something else?

1 Like

@Ilham yes we would like to compare the date when we made the delivery of our custom rules plugin in git/gerrit. If we have the date in SQ we can just check that against git/gerrit dates.

Hello Mickael,

Thank you for your return.

Are you trying to identify if the rules coming from your plugin are updated? Did you think about relying on the version of your deployed plugin or tagging your rules as a workaround?

Our custom plugin contains multiple rules. So 2 rules can be updated in one commit but the other rules have not been updated. Tagging would be nice so we can provide the date the rule was updated.

It seems that if you could version your plugin, you can get the information from the change log of your plugin.

Let me know if I misunderstood something.

It seems that if you could version your plugin

Not sure what you mean with version my plugin. We have a version:

But it does not tell when it was updated in sonar gui. I don’t want to go to gerrit to find the information.

I would suggest that you keep with your plugin a change log in each version for the rules you update with their update date.

@Ilham and how would that be visible in SQ?

The change log of your plugin is not visible in SonarQube. It allows you to track your rules updates independently. If you want the update date information to be visible in SQ, you can consider tagging your rules with that information.

We do not have short-term plans to add the update date for this specific need.