Renaming Master branch in SQ Community edition

Hi,

I am new to SonarQube and this community and could do with a little guidance.

Background:
The company I work for has decided to downgrade from SonarQube Enterprise to the Community edition. Our B&CI system (Jenkins,Python) would previously create a new Sonarqube Project and then immediately rename the main branch from ‘Master’ to ‘main’ using the web api ‘rename’ feature. The renaming is now failing with a 403 error (which indicates a permissions problem).

Question:
As part of debugging this, to start with, I would like to learn how to manually rename the Master branch to ‘main’. Is this possible in Community edition? The docs say that you go to Administration > Branches and Pull Requests . (https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/branches/overview/) but I cannot find that anywhere in the GUI.

I belong to a group that has all the permissions granted (administer, create etc).

I am using Community Edition Version 7.9.3 (build 33349)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

I think you can’t find that in the interface because… it doesn’t seem to be there.

The web service still ought to work though. Have you double checked that the account the automation is using still does have all the correct permissions?

Ann

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and the warm welcome.

I and a more experienced colleague, have checked the admin permissions and we both think it looks ok in principle. One question though: does the Sonarqube server need to be restarted to apply the permissions? I assume not and couldn’t see anything in the docs but I’ve been burnt by things like this before…

Thanks
Julian

Hi Julian,

There are things you need to restart for (changing the Server base URL) but not permissions. This may be a dumb question, but how are you authenticating your web service request?

Ann

Hi,

As far as I understand it, authentication is currently done with basic authentication in the HTTP session header. This was certainly working and stable when we used Sonarqube Enterprise.

Julian

Hi Julian,

I just tried this on my localhost & successfully renamed ‘master’ to ‘henry’:

Selection_999(277)

Ann

Thanks for showing it can work. I just need to figure out how I’m going wrong. now…