Plans for the Organizations feature

Hello everybody,

I currently work on SonarQube 6 LTS Community and I wonder what are the plans for Organizations feature (seen in web_api). Is there a final version planned for v6 LTS, v7 or for a commercial edition?

Thanks
Benoît

Hi,

There’s no plan to enable this feature in SonarQube for the moment.
Out of curiosity, what would be your need about it ?

Regards

Oh, ok. Are there plans to delete what already exists? (I ask in case we try to work around it)

The need would be to have the control on a group of quality profiles and gates for an organization/department without being able to modify those of another organization/department (having separated organizations).

A secondary need would be to manage permissions on a group of projects rather than on a group of users.

Hi Benoît,

You can grant permissions to individual profiles. I know this is probably more steps than you intended when you said “group of quality profiles”, but the functionality exists.

For projects, you can set up permission templates that are applied automatically based on project key patterns. For existing projects, you can apply templates manually in Administration > Projects > Management. So again, the functionality exists, but perhaps with more manual intervention than you intended.

Ann

HI Ann,

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

Indeed, I was hoping something more automatic than the “Grant permission to more users” button. :sweat_smile:

I will use this work around :slight_smile:

Benoît

Hi,

As this hidden feature (Organization) was there for a long time, is there any plans to discontinue this feature from SonarQube?

Also, if an enterprise customer with support enables the Organization feature, does this invalidate their support?

Thanks,

Vinod

That is a no-go indeed, irrespective of whether you’re an enterprise customer or not. I’d like to point out that this is not a hidden feature. You do observe an internal API, but functionally speaking the fact is that there has been no completion / validation as a SonarQube feature at all . If you were to tamper with that then you really run the risk of compromising your entire dataset (and FYI there are built-in mechanics to avoid any unintentional activation).