Missing plugin API changes in the docs

Hello,

It appears that the plugin development section in the docs https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/extend/developing-plugin is missing plugin API changes for both 8.0 and 8.1 releases.

I’ve posted about missing documentation for other releases a few months ago here and those issues seem to have been addressed, although I’m not sure when, because I was never notified in the other thread.

It is a shame that plugin developers have to find out about API changes only when trying to compile their code and getting deprecation warnings or errors from the compiler. 8.0 came out in October and the changes are still missing - even if there are no changes, a quick note like in the case of 7.9 is really useful. I understand that 8.1 was released fairly recently, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who would appreciate a lot if the docs with API changes were kept up to date. Ideally aligned with releases of plugin artifacts or even updated ahead of time, which would allow plugin developers to get ready for new releases and make the necessary changes to enable users to migrate to a new version of SonarQube without too much delay. This sounds to me like a win-win. I don’t think it’s a crazy idea at all when I suggest that it would be valuable for plugin developers to see published publicly release candidates, milestones or even snapshot releases of the upcoming SonarQube versions along with the API changes documented and up-to-date.

Is there something that can be done on your end to improve this situation and better support your developers? Those developers, after all, are adding extra value to your platform by providing a wide range of great additional plugins which are widely adopted and it would only be fair to give them the right tools so they can do their jobs well and create even more successful ecosystem.

Best regards,
Michael

3 Likes

Hi Michael,

Thanks for catching this. I’m gathering this information and will add it to the documentation. I’ll also make sure that updating this documentation is part of the version release process in the future!

Thanks for your help,
Mike

1 Like