Maintenance mode option

It would be very nice to have the option to place SonarQube in maintenance mode.
I know there is a mainenance mode implemented, but you see this only when there is forinstance an update or a change of the database.
I would like to have this feature through the gui or api call.

Hi,

Would you mind sharing your use case?

Ann

Hello Ann,

It is not easy to explain. I’ll try

I am changing to a new version of the database.
I have allready had an upgrade of Sonarqube to the latest version. ( test environment )
Now I want to upgrade the postgres database version.
During the migration of the data I want to have people to see that SonarQube is in maintenance mode.
We have SonarQube running in docker within a cubernates cluster with automatic restart options. So it is not easy to temporarely stop / shutdown the instance.
When the data is migrated I have to redirect the alias of the database and restart the instance.

Bert

Hi Bert,

If I understand correctly, this is what you’re looking for (or close to it):

MMF-2017 - Keep scanner availability during SonarQube DCE upgrade

To be clear,

• The fix version on this ticket is currently wrong and should be ignored
  • this will more than likely be released as a commercial feature.

If I’ve misunderstood the request, please do tell me.

Ann

Ann,

I believe what he’s looking for is a way to keep end-users out while performing maintenance tasks that could affect how the data is displayed. Shutting down Sonarqube or it’s server is apparently not an option. An administrative option for “Maintenance mode” that would prevent logins by all by Admin users would keep Sonarqube available but limit the users to prevent problems. I would use this option if it were available.

Thanks Richard for your clear addition to my request.That is the one I am looking for.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. Could you help me understand what maintenance tasks fall into this category other than a version upgrade? Sorry to be dense, but nothing is springing to mind for me.

Ann

Hello Ann,

One of the things I am into now is the upgrade for the postgres database.
Our provider is changing the postgres database services to postgres 11.
So I needed to upgrade our SonarQube instance to version 8.x to have support for this version of postgres.
It is against our policy, because normaly we only have LTS versions. But never the less.
So first the upgrade of the software and than the upgrade of the database.
The migration of the data takes some time, and I don’t want to shutdown the application for a longer time than nessesary. But than only in read only mode.
After the migration is completed I only have to redirect the database url en reboot SonarQube.
So the downtime is minimized.

With regards,
Bert Meedendorp

We have several hundred portfolios. Sometimes it’s necessary to rebuild them. While I’m rebuilding most of them don’t work. If people access Sonarqube while I’m rebuilding I end up getting problem tickets no matter how many announcements I put out that this work is being done. I’d prefer to be able to keep users out of the system while I’m doing this work, but the web server needs to be up to do it.

Also, when I’m performing an upgrade I don’t want users logging in once the upgrade process is complete until I’ve validated everything. I may find problems that I have to research/fix and getting tickets against Sonarqube while I’m in the middle of my validation is annoying at best.

Hi guys,

Thanks for elaborating!

Ann