Legal characters for branch names

I’ve been trying to find out the legal characters in a sonarqube branch name. I found the legal characters for projects names in the documentation (’-’,’_’,’:’,’.’, letters,>=1 digit). I assume it may be the same but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer so I’m reaching out to the community for some potential insight.

Hi Nick,

your query about the permissible characters in SonarQube branch names is indeed a pertinent one, especially since clear documentation seems elusive. From my experience and understanding of SonarQube’s naming conventions, the set of legal characters for branch names typically aligns with those for project names. This includes ‘-’, ‘_’, ‘:’, ‘.’, and alphanumeric characters. However, it’s always good to test this assumption, as specific versions of SonarQube might have variations. I’d recommend creating a few test branches with different character combinations to see if any issues arise. Additionally, keeping an eye on the SonarQube updates and documentation might provide a more definitive answer in the future.

I hope this helps!
Regards
Sarah Moe (Casenet)