Java requirement

I just downloaded the latest version of SonarQube to my Mac and wanted to test it on a few plugins I made (wordpress php plugins)

I got this error:

./sonar.sh console
Running SonarQube...
wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
wrapper  | JVM exited while loading the application.
jvm 1    | The operation couldn’t be completed. Unable to locate a Java Runtime.
jvm 1    | Please visit http://www.java.com for information on installing Java.
jvm 1    | 
wrapper  | JVM Restarts disabled.  Shutting down.
wrapper  | <-- Wrapper Stopped

I understand I must install Java.
But I am confused on this. Often I read Java to be insecure, on the other hand I find several sources to install Java (one is oracle.com, the other is java.com)

I also could not find any mentions on the quick setup guide of SonarQube or what version is required

Generally, can I safely install Java on my Mac or poses this some sort of Risk I would have to be aware of?
I commit from this machine to several repos and I would not want it to become somehow vulnerable.

Apologies ahead if I understand nothing of Java. Quite fond and knowledgeable of PHP and WordPress, and use CodeSniffer (PHP and WPCS) a lot, however Java is new territory for me

I would appreciate some feedback and perhaps a hint or two how to proceed.

PS:
I already tried the GitHub online integration, however given the repos are private, it asks me to pay, and I would like to test it first.

I already gave RIPS a spin but my code is OOP, so that tool does not really return a lot of useful results

Thanks!

Hello @smileBeda :wave:

Java is like every other software on your system. Update it regularly and you should be good :slightly_smiling_face:

Regarding the version, you might want to check out the docs on this: Prerequisites and Overview | SonarQube Docs

Hope that helps

2 Likes

Thanks! This is useful…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.