Intellij Idea crashes after installing sonarlint plugin and restarting

• Operating system: macOS Ventura, version 13.0
  • SonarLint plugin version: 8.0.0.63273
  • Programming language you’re coding in: Java
  • Is connected mode used:
    • Connected to SonarCloud or SonarQube (and which version): I was just configuring the SonarCloud

And a thorough description of the problem / question:
Hello! I was configuring SonarLint and couldn´t found my company in the list after providing a token (see screenshot) and decided to restart Idea to see if this helps to see my company in list of organisations. It didn´t help and I started to get crashing error while trying to open the Intellij Idea

Internal error. Please refer to https://jb.gg/ide/critical-startup-errors
java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot invoke (class=InitializeSonarLintOnStartup, method=appFrameCreated, topic=AppLifecycleListener)
    at com.intellij.util.messages.impl.MessageBusImplKt.invokeListener(MessageBusImpl.kt:639)
    at com.intellij.util.messages.impl.MessageBusImplKt.deliverMessage(MessageBusImpl.kt:395)
    at com.intellij.util.messages.impl.MessageBusImplKt.pumpWaiting(MessageBusImpl.kt:374)
    at com.intellij.util.messages.impl.MessageBusImplKt.access$pumpWaiting(MessageBusImpl.kt:1)
    at com.intellij.util.messages.impl.MessagePublisher.invoke(MessageBusImpl.kt:433)
    at jdk.proxy1/jdk.proxy1.$Proxy46.appFrameCreated(Unknown Source)
    at com.intellij.idea.IdeStarter.openProjectIfNeeded$suspendImpl(IdeStarter.kt:91)
    at com.intellij.idea.IdeStarter.openProjectIfNeeded(IdeStarter.kt)
    at com.intellij.idea.IdeStarter$start$2.invokeSuspend(IdeStarter.kt:72)
    at com.intellij.idea.IdeStarter$start$2.invoke(IdeStarter.kt)
    at com.intellij.idea.IdeStarter$start$2.invoke(IdeStarter.kt)
    at kotlinx.coroutines.intrinsics.UndispatchedKt.startUndispatchedOrReturn(Undispatched.kt:89)
    at kotlinx.coroutines.CoroutineScopeKt.coroutineScope(CoroutineScope.kt:264)
    at com.intellij.idea.IdeStarter.start$suspendImpl(IdeStarter.kt:70)
    at com.intellij.idea.IdeStarter.start(IdeStarter.kt)
    at com.intellij.idea.ApplicationLoader.initApplicationImpl(ApplicationLoader.kt:169)
    at com.intellij.idea.ApplicationLoader.access$initApplicationImpl(ApplicationLoader.kt:1)
    at com.intellij.idea.ApplicationLoader$initApplicationImpl$1.invokeSuspend(ApplicationLoader.kt)
    at kotlin.coroutines.jvm.internal.BaseContinuationImpl.resumeWith(ContinuationImpl.kt:33)
    at kotlinx.coroutines.DispatchedTask.run(DispatchedTask.kt:106)
    at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler.runSafely(CoroutineScheduler.kt:570)
    at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.executeTask(CoroutineScheduler.kt:750)
    at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.runWorker(CoroutineScheduler.kt:677)
    at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.run(CoroutineScheduler.kt:664)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.sonarlint.intellij.core.BackendService.toSonarCloudBackendConnection(BackendService.kt:153)
    at org.sonarlint.intellij.core.BackendService.initialize(BackendService.kt:84)
    at org.sonarlint.intellij.core.BackendService.startOnce(BackendService.kt:77)
    at org.sonarlint.intellij.InitializeSonarLintOnStartup.appFrameCreated(InitializeSonarLintOnStartup.kt:28)
    at com.intellij.util.messages.impl.MessageBusImplKt.invokeMethod(MessageBusImpl.kt:655)
    at com.intellij.util.messages.impl.MessageBusImplKt.invokeListener(MessageBusImpl.kt:625)
    ... 23 more
-----
Your JRE: 17.0.5+1-b653.25 aarch64 (JetBrains s.r.o.)
/Applications/IntelliJ IDEA.app/Contents/jbr/Contents/Home

I´ve deleted the directory with sonarlint plugin using the instruction (´rm -rf sonarlint-intellij´) and it helped to open the Idea, but after I tried to reinstall sonarlint the history above happened again. Seems that I need to clear some sonarlint settings somewhere else?

Hello @Nina_Shevchuk,

Thanks for reporting this here!

There is a problem in the UI and you should not be allowed to register a connection without selecting the organization. You can check to which organizations you belong at https://sonarcloud.io/account/organizations. You might want to check with the org admin if you’re not part of it, that’s probably why it does not appear in the list.

Ideally you wouldn’t be able to go to the next step in the “Organization” dialog. I created a ticket to prevent this.

Let me know if you have other problems

A post was split to a new topic: Use SonarLint without an organization