[resolved] Fresh install of SonarQube 7.7 on Windows 2019 failes to start the service, running in foreground works fine

Hi guys,

I just installed the latest SonarQube 7.7 on a new VM, running Windows 2019. Running the application from \bin\windows-x86-64\StartSonar.bat works fine.

But after running InstallNTService.bat and starting the service up I get this in wrapper.log:

2019.05.22 15:35:35 INFO  app[][o.s.a.AppFileSystem] Cleaning or creating temp directory C:\Sonar\sonarqube-7.7\temp

WrapperSimpleApp: Encountered an error running main: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Sonar\sonarqube-7.7\temp\conf\es\elasticsearch.keystore
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Sonar\sonarqube-7.7\temp\conf\es\elasticsearch.keystore

And SonarQube does not start :frowning:

(I am using the Azul 8 JDK)

Any ideas?

It does not matter if i remove/rename the “temp” folder, which is recreated on startup, the error still comes up.

Hi,

Is your service user the equivalent of root? SonarQube can’t run as root (an underlying component - Elasticsearch - refuses to start as root). That would explain why you’re successful starting it as yourself, but not as the service.

Ann

I resolved this by reinstalling Win2019. Something was wrong with the other install (another template used), so this is not a SonarQube issue.

Hi,

Thanks for following up with your resolution!

Ann