Fail to get bootstrap index from server: connect timed out

Sonarqube version: 7.9.1
Sonar Maven Plugin: 3.6.0.1398

I just upgraded my Sonarqube version running on Docker and whenever my Jenkins try to push sonar analysis using sonar maven plugin it fails.

My telnet from my jenkins server to sonar server it’s working.

I copy/paste my maven log bellow:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:3.6.0.1398:sonar (default-cli) on project PROJECT_NAME: Unable to execute SonarQube: Fail to get bootstrap index from server: connect timed out -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

To be clear, this

means that when you try to access directly the failing URL in your analysis log, it works?

Ann

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your time. When I access Sonar server URL using wget from Jenkins server I download index file with this content:

sonar-scanner-engine-shaded-7.9.1-all.jar|a1c05423113146c25aa5a0819888ceec

But when Jenkins Job tries to run I hits that connection timeout error.

I even edited my settings.xml file on maven installation folder (/usr/local/maven/conf/) and included properties information about sonar.host.url, but no luck so far.

When I was using Sonarqube 7.7.1 with sonar-maven-plugin 3.2 everything was fine.

Since I already upgraded my database to Sonarqube 7.9.1 I can’t rollback to previous version.

Is it possible to export previous analysis, create new database, use Sonar 7.7.1 and dump data in this new db?

Hi,

Are you on the latest Jenkins and Maven scanners?

Ann

Yes. I’m using Jenkins 2.187 and maven plugin 3.6.0.1398.

Hi,

The latest version of the Jenkins Scanner / plugin is 2.9. Could you upgrade and try again?

Ann

I’m already using SonarQube Scanner for Jenkins 2.9.

This looks like a network error since it’s timing out, might be hard for us to help.
If you run with -X -e you might get more details about the cause of the error.

I just updated our server from 6.7.6 to 7.9.1 and am now running into this error.
Only difference is I am running Gradle (Sonar plugin v2.7.1) instead of Maven and GitLab CI instead of Jenkins.
Before the update, everything worked fine and there was no change in network configuration.
Just like Fernandes, I can successfully wget from the docker container.
When running the same build from my (Windows) workstation, it works fine.
I have attached the error including stack trace.

sonar_stacktrace.txt (10.6 KB)

Hi,
Could it be that the connection from GitLab CI is slower and timing out?
Did you try doing the wget from GitLab as well? If so, did it take a long time even if it was successful?
There isn’t much we can do to troubleshoot or fix network timeout issues.

What I can tell from the logs is that it’s failing, with a timeout, the very first connection that the scanner tries to establish with the server. The information read with this connection is only a few bytes long, so it’s probably a connect timeout rather than a read timeout.

Hi Duarte
Yes, I tried wget as well. It was successfull and near instant, as it should be. I very much doubt the issue is caued by the network, because as I said, the exact same setup worked fine with SQ 6.7.6. Between the versions, was there a change in network code like forcing https, support for IPv6, rejecting older protocols, etc.?

So to be clear. I tried to wget the webroot, i.e. myserver.com:9000. What is the exact URL that is queried in that first request? I want to wget that one.

I investigated some more. So, looking at the logs when running the (working) build from my machine, it seems the first request goes to /batch/index. When I try to wget that URL, the connection is established, the request arrives, the server responds with a 200 (same as in build) but wget doesn’t terminate within reasonable time. Here’s the wget output (hostname and IP changed):

--2019-10-09 07:36:33--  http://myserver.com:9000/batch/index
Resolving myserver.com (myserver.com)... 1.2.3.4
Connecting to myserver.com (myserver.com)|1.2.3.4|:9000... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

OK, weird, at least the server gets and logs the request. I also tried to wget /batch_bootstrap/index which again worked fine.
When browsing to /batch/index with Firefox from my workstation, I get the (seemingly) normal response sonar-scanner-engine-shaded-7.9.1-all.jar|a1c05423113146c25aa5a0819888ceec

Could it be that the response is missing some terminator?

BTW, is it normal that the user string of the request is “ScannerGradle/2.8-SNAPSHOT/4.9”, even if I am running plugin v2.7.1?

I also tried with Gradle 5.6.2 and got the same results.

Hi,

You’re right, the first request is batch/index.
The string of the request doesn’t look right - I will look into it. In any case it shouldn’t affect the response of that WS, which is confirmed with wget.

Are you using a public docker image with GitLab, so that I could try to reproduce it?

Yes, I am using the gradle:jdk11 image (see here). However, I am not actually using the Gradle install of the image but instead using Gradle Wrapper to download the distro (gradle-4.9-all but also reproduced with gradle-5.6.2-all).
One thing that I have yet to try is using an image with a different JDK.

I’ve just done a test with GitLab CI, using gradle:jdk11, sonarqube plugin 2.7.1 and SonarQube 7.9.1 CE. Everything worked as expected.
Is there anything particular about your setup of the server or gitlab yml that could make a difference?

Well yes, absolutely: Company-hosted GitLab, company proxy, and company-shared runners to name a few.
The reason I don’t suspect any of those to be causing the problem is that nothing about them changed. The only change that could have caused the problem was the SQ Server update and its new JDK.

Since my last comment, I have also tried this with a different docker image that has a different JDK (maven:3-jdk-11). The results were the same.

What I may do is run Wireshark on the SQ server to check the outgoing packages. Unfortunately, I can’t do the same on the client-machine, as it’s not under my control (company shared runner).

What did you mean when you said the string of the request didn’t look right?