Excessive emails to developers when deactivating a rule

We are using SonarQube 7.5.
Occasionally we find that we need to deactivate a rule. When that happens, everyone who had an issue pertaining to that rule gets an email when the code is next analyzed – a separate email to each person for each issue. Our code base is pretty large, so that can result in thousands of emails being sent to various members of the development team.
We do want them to get notifications, and most of the time those notifications are useful but not in this case. We can’t ask them all to change their email settings in the tool every time we do this. And turning it off globally (in Administration) is time consuming – we have to turn it off, rerun jobs for every project that we have, which takes a long time, then bring emails back again.

We are wondering if there is a better solution. Perhaps there is a global “Don’t send emails for deactivated rules” setting that I don’t know about? If not, does it seem reasonable to ask for this in a future version?

Hi,

You’re right. This is screwed up. We’re aware of it, and trying to decide how to fix it. Unfortunately I don’t yet have tickets you can follow. Also unfortunately, you’ve already figured out all the (unappealing) workarounds.

:roll_eyes:
Ann

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I’ll keep an eye out for tickets. If there is a way for me to get notified if one gets created, please let me know.