CheckVerifier with package path of variables

Hi,

I’m developing a new custom rule and want to test it with org.sonar.java.checks.verifier.CheckVerifier. This parses this test file:

class Person implements java.io.Serializable {
    private String name;

@Overwrite
    public String toString() {
        org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilder toStringBuilder =
           new org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilder()
           .append("name", name);
        String result = toStringBuilder.build();
        return result;
    }
}

When I execute the test, I get the following error message for the toStringBuilder variable:

WARN  Unresolved imports/types have been detected during analysis. Enable DEBUG mode to see them.

The custom rule is invoked, anyhow. But when I determine the fully quailified name of the toStringBuilder VariableTree, it shows me Recovered#typeBindingLorg/apache;0

I couldn’t find out how I could package paths in that test file, nor how I could activate the debug mode for the CheckVerifier. Can anybody give me a hint?

Many thanks in advance!

Hello @christian.jacob

I think that this answer should help you to solve this problem:

Best,
Quentin

Hi Quentin, unfortunately this didn’t help. What is even weirder: if I use this as an instance variable of the class, the ToStringBuilder is resolved correctly, see the 3rd line:

class Person implements java.io.Serializable {
    private String name;
    private org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilder toStringBuilder;

@Overwrite
    public String toString() {
        org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilder toStringBuilderInMethod =
           new org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilder()
           .append("name", name);
        String result = toStringBuilderInMethod.build();
        return result;
    }

The variable “toStringBuilderInMethod” still has the class name

Recovered#typeBindingLorg/apache;0

I had a look again, I’m unsure what is happening exactly, but here are a few hints:
I noticed that the code you provided does not compile (at least with commons-lang3, version 3.12.0). Even if you will be able to parse the code fine, you should make sure the tests files you are providing are compiling. If I add an argument to new org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ToStringBuilder()ToStringBuilder(new Object()), the warning goes away.

As a general observation, as long as the warning that you already noticed is present:

WARN  Unresolved imports/types have been detected during analysis. Enable DEBUG mode to see them.

The semantics will be unreliable.

Hope it gives you clues to solve your problems.