Build-wrapper-win-x86-64 multiple processes gets stuck

• versions used

• SonarQube: 8.7
    • Build Wrapper: 6.17
    • Azure Devops Pipeline Agent: 2.163.1
  • error observed:
    multiple process of “build-wrapper-win-x86-64.exe” running on the same solution in different configurations causes the MSbuild to stop responding.

• steps to reproduce
    I have a cpp solution created in VS2015 with ~27 projects (third are unit tests).
    the solution is run in Azure DevOps Server 2019 pipeline (classic build definition) in a matrix
    Platform (x86,x64) X Configuration (Debug, release,specialDebug, specialRelease).
    I followed the documentation and defined a commadline with the following:

build-wrapper-win-x86-64.exe --out-dir .\SQW "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\amd64\MSBuild.exe" .\SolutionToBuild.sln /nologo /nr:false /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=%BuildConfiguration% /p:Platform=%buildPlatform% /p:VisualStudioVersion=14.0 /m

a normal build time for the solution is around 4 min.
the machine running the pipeline has 4 AzureDevOps pipeiline agents.
as the pipeline starts all 4 of the Agents on the machine run the flow and after 3.5 min they stop responding until I kill “build-wrapper-win-x86-64.exe” processes

Hi @LiranDobrish ,

are the agents running on the same paths and checkouts? Does it run correctly if you run it on just a single agent?

all the agents are running in different directories with same checkout in different locations (according to the agent).
i have tried setting the pipeline to run all the configuration on a single agent, after the first configuration passed the second got stuck.

Hi @LiranDobrish ,

are you wrapping only the build or also the tests invocation? Could you try to understand if there is a specific moment when the job gets stuck?

I’m wrapping only the build, it gets stuck on linking a project after 3 min , the project is not constent

Hi @LiranDobrish ,

could you make sure that Windows Defencer and other eventual antivirus are disabled? They may interfere with build-wrapper.

i cannot disable then, as they are activated by IT

Hi @LiranDobrish ,

then it’s likely due to antivirus or Windows Defender. It would be nice if you could clarify that in an environment you control.

I was able to run the scan when running only a single configuration.
I don’t think its related to the av / defender
As it runs on machine but sporadically hangs

Hi @LiranDobrish ,

it could be that is why it would be great if you would manage to give it a try.

sorry for the long replay,
the SecOps team does not approve such a thing.
is there any other way we can test to find the issue?