Blocker at step 1 with SonarCloud

I’ve set up my access to SonarCloud using GitLab. I quickly discovered that this arrangement required external machines (GitLab calls them test runners) to perform the scans. This completely blocks my use of SonarCloud and I’m unable to obtain any value for the service I’m paying for. I’m willing to moving to a different Version Control System but it appears that there is no way within the tool to make this change.

Is there any way to change to a different VCS system? Maybe GitHub or Azure. Without the ability to change VCS systems, there is no value in renewing my subscription with SonarCloud.

Hi @Eddie ,

Thanks for your post. I would need a few clarifications from you to help.

I quickly discovered that this arrangement required external machines (GitLab calls them test runners) to perform the scans.

What do you mean by ‘external machines’? Do you mean machines provided by GitLab to run CI/CD pipelines?

This completely blocks my use of SonarCloud and I’m unable to obtain any value for the service I’m paying for.

Can you clarify which services you are paying for? Do you mean SonarCloud, or GitLab or both?

I’m willing to moving to a different Version Control System but it appears that there is no way within the tool to make this change.

Is there any way to change to a different VCS system? Maybe GitHub or Azure. Without the ability to change VCS systems, there is no value in renewing my subscription with SonarCloud.

I will assume here that by VCS, you mean ALM (GitHub, Azure, GitLab or BitBucketCloud, and still use git as the VCS).

You are correct in that there is no possibility to change the ALM once an organization is bound. The approach here would be to remove the organization and create a new one. If your organization is a paying one and you are within the 15 days trial period, you won’t be charged for the removed organization.

I would also like to ask whether your source code is made of compiled languages or interpreted languages.

If these are compiled languages, then you definitely need a CI/CD that will perform scans on top of your build process.

If these are interpreted languages, then you may want to check if these are languages eligible for automatic analysis, which is available only if the ALM is GitHub. In that scenario, you don’t need any machine to perform scans.

Regards,
@AlxO

1 Like

I’m paying for both SonarCloud and GitLab but I’m only able to use SonarCloud.

The goal was to use these services for iOS development. GitLab works well as far as basic git services go. To run unit tests or any other CI, you have to register an external machine (e.g., a Mac Mini running somewhere). SonarCloud appears to count on GitLab’s CI system to perform scanning. This combination is problematic as the reason I switch from an onprem sonar to cloud was to remove the dependency on external machine. Since I’m still dependent on external machines, I’m receiving ZERO value from my SonarCloud subscription.

Hi @Eddie,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that your scope of work is iOS development. Therefore it requires running the SonarCloud scanners on some MacOS machines.

I don’t know if any of the 4 ALMs that SonarCloud supports have offerings for MacOS machines. If it is not the case, then, you are correct that, in your specific context, an ALM alone is not sufficient to use SonarCloud.

Note that it is common that SonarCloud users use an online CI service external to their ALM. And I believe some of them provide a MacOS offering.

Regards,
@AlxO

1 Like

Hi @Eddie,

I was informed that GitHub provides MacOS test runners. I can’t tell whether this would be workable solution for you, but you may want to investigate it.

See this link.

Regards,
@AlxO

1 Like