Almost 500 GB of data being transferred from sonarqube instance from the path /api/plugins/download

• We are using Sonarqube 8.2 community edition hosted on a GCP VM.
  • We are using sonarcloud add-on in Travis CI for sonar scanner for some golang based projects and maven sonar scanner plugin for java based projects that are analysed via Jenkins.
  • We noticed that around 500 GB of data was transferred in 1 month’s time from the machine where the sonarqube server is hosted from the path /api/plugins/download
  • We are not using plain sonar scanner binary or docker based sonar scanner as far as I know (which I guess requires us to explicitly state the cache requirements for the downloaded plugins).

I would like to check with the community here if they are aware of any such similar issues. Do I need to check some thing else?

Hey there.

Hi,

Your version is past EOL. You should upgrade to either the latest version or the current LTS at your earliest convenience. Your upgrade path is:

8.2 → 8.9.8 → 9.4 (last step optional)

And, that’s not going to do much for your issue. In reality, there’s about ~200 MB of data that the scanner needs to download in order to run an analysis. Some quick math would show 2005500 = 2500 scans (~80 scans a day), which isn’t unheard of for a moderately busy SonarQube instance.

You might try to cache the .sonar folder using whatever mechanisms are possible with your CI in order to avoid redownloads when possible.